SC - Recipe 7-Weekend of Wisdom

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Fri Nov 5 09:42:50 PST 1999

Ras:
> It is easy to get 2 cps. of milk to come to a boil without scorching
> it but bringing 4 gallons of milk to a boil is quite a different
> thing.

With full-on groveling and humbleness, I dare to approach Your
Magnificence with an idea. :)  Have your 4+ gallon pot ready with some
water boiling in it (not much).  Boil your milk in smaller batches: 4
one gallon pots or 8 half-gallon batches (if you have the room).

And while this might be the culinary equivalent of juggling running
chainsaws, if by minding all the pots, you can get them to boil at
about the same time...  Toss out the boiling water from the big pot
(or use it for something else), toss in the (near) boiling milk, and
bring it all to a boil.  As the total BigPotTime for the milk is low,
I think that should take care of the scorching, though your potscrubs
will be cursing your name.

This is all just theory, I haven't tried it.  You'd need to find out
just how much milk you can boil at once without it scorching.  If you
have plenty of time, you could bring the whole pot up very slowly
towards boiling.  There is the concern for the length of time the milk
is in the "danger zone", however.

I don't doubt that all of this has already occurred to you.

"It is also said: 'Never ask the counsel of Elves, for they will tell
you both yes and no." --Frodo Baggins

My four ha'pennies worth,
Iyad ibn Bisharo, Shire of Easaraigh, Kingdom of Meridies
Chip Allen, Cookeville, TN
jallen at multipro.com