SC - Recipe: Bizcochos

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Sat Nov 6 17:58:53 PST 1999

> Anyway, would someone be so kind as to give me a basic recipe for candying
> nuts that stands up to variations?
>
> (What I really need is to know how long/to what temperature to cook the
> honey or sugar flavored with whatever in order to get hard candied almonds
> instead of sticky gooey messes.)

My recipe is below, and IIRC, the sugar syrup must come to a full rolling
boil and boil for a couple of minutes.  This will give you that nice hard
finish.

 Joy of Cooking say to boil the syrup until clear and falls in heavy drops
from a spoon.

Hello, the one I prefere you bake the nuts, and don't boil anything
so no guess work about is the syrup too thin etc, course it's still
OOP and oddly enough still from the JOY OF COOKING

preheat your oven to 250
sift in a shallow pan 1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/8 t salt
1 1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 t allspice
1/3 t each ginger and nutmeg

1 egg white
2 T cold water

1/4 pound of nuts

dip all nuts in the egg mixture
then drop one at a time in to sifted ingredients until coated place
individual pieces on cookie sheet Bake for about 1 1/2 hours remove
from oven shake off excess sugar. This keeps well for several weeks,
in a stored container

I don't know how long you can really store them, as they never stick
around that long.

Fiona