SC - OT My software doesn't like Alys K!

Seton1355@aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Sun Nov 7 10:51:48 PST 1999

Lorix wrote:

>Now there is going to be an Heraldic theme
>for the event and lots of dishes are being
>served representing various group's devices,
>so making the chocolate some kind of subtlie
>in that regard would tone in with the feast.

Why not make the appropriate heraldic devices out of chocolate?  For Pennsic
18 I made all the kingdom devices out of the appropriately-colored "chocolate" (MKA "summer
coating") and set them on a base of semi-sweet dark chocolate.  Draw the device on a
piece of paper; set a sheet of waxed paper on top and tape both down securely.  If you
tape this to a small tray, cookie sheet, or cutting board, it will make a later step
easier.  Melt the summer coating chocolate (this the is the "colored" chocolate you can get in
cake decorating/candy supply shops).  You can keep it melted on a hot tray, if you have one.
Put an amount of the melted, colored chocolate in a parchment bag or a decorator's bag.
Use it outline parts of the device.  When it cools and hardens, it will form a barrier
for adding larger amounts of colored chocolate.  You can then carefully pour the colored
chocolate within the lines or use a decorator's bag with a larger opening.  I have found
that if you carefully bounce and jounce the tray/cookie sheet/cutting board, you can spread
the chocolate around and make it smoother.  Otherwise you can try using a knife to help
smooth it.

You could also, if you were an artist, do something similar to do a portrait of the
royalty in chocolate.  Details can be added on using melted chocolate and a toothpick or
a stiff brush.  (Brush problems include chocolate build-up and bristles detaching.)

Depending on how thickly you lay on the chocolate, it may serve by itself.  Because mine
had been made "by sections", I thought that perhaps it might break apart at the "color
joins", so I made a base of the darker chocolate, slightly larger than the original, and
set the original on it.  Again, I ran a border of chocolate around, let it set, and then
poured more chocolate inside, jouncing it to smooth it.  When you go to attach the two,
spread a few thin areas of more melted chocolate and add the top layer before that new
area hardens.

Alys Katharine