SC - Recipe 1-Weekend of Wisdom

Lorix lorix at trump.net.au
Sun Nov 7 10:26:25 PST 1999

Deborah Schumacher wrote:

> Heya all!
> First off let me say that i am green as mustard with jealousy on  this one!
> It sounds like a great time was had by all. Wish I could have seen it.
>
> Master A had you thought of  writing an article for TI about it? Maybe your
> view as the autocrat (you were weren't you?) and one of the exhibitors
> views?

No, actually the best part was that I wasn't autocrat and had no real
official role, except for helping coordinate the photography of most of
the exhibits. I like to think of myself as the Primary (but not
necessarily Chief) Conspirator. We had a problem with low morale in the
region, people were making noises about forming a Principality, but
lacked the necessary support, it was kind of a mess. At the time I was
the regional A&S minister, and I said something like, hey, how about
doing this? Get a bunch of like-minded individuals together and let them
have enough fun so they remember what they jined up for, and feel like
part of a kingdom again. During the planning stages an apple in the
shape of the kingdom A&S office landed on my head, so my perspective on
the whole thing changed slightly. Now I want each region of the kingdom
to do something like this, if we can swing it.

> Perhaps with an accompanying recipe or two? I know i would love to
> read all about it.
> Any chance of getting the   mustard recipe? i would love to try it.

Hmmm. I know the lady with the exhibit of period apple varieties and
dishes is on this list, or was until recently, at least. Let's give her
a chance to post something: if she can't for some reason, I have her
printed handout. As for the mustard recipe, it comes from that new
Medieval Polish recipe book. Maybe Lord Stefan (or anyone else who has
it) would be kind enough to post the recipe? Lord Kael, the gentleman
who ran the extremely groaning day board, also used to be on this list,
and may still be. Since I never even saw all the food that went out, I
may not be the best person to discuss it. It certainly smelled great; I
even tried to photograph it but Lord Kael seemed not to like the idea. I
did, however, present him with one of my laurel tokens: as per certain
snide comments on this list ;  ), I brought along little jars of saffron
and long pepper for the cooks.  As it happens I was so busy just talking
to people that I never did get to all the people to whom I'd intended to
present these little tokens.

On the event as a whole, we haven't really invented anything
unprecedented; places like Atenveldt have been doing things like this
for years, and the A&S tent at Pennsic has been, too, I gather,
especially when they did the A&S War Point. It's just the first time
we've done something like this in the East. This is why I was so
interested in the comments recently made on this list, about bad
experiences in A&S competitions. We've had some of that here, and this
was one way we thought of to improve things.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com