SC - Chocolate and Disappearing Posts

alysk@ix.netcom.com alysk at ix.netcom.com
Mon Nov 8 13:28:40 PST 1999

At 09:29 AM 11/8/99 -0600,Jeff Heilveil said something like:
>Salut!
>It has been a while since I last posted. Recently, I was moving out of my
>house and heading out to a new one, and my housemate and I found a
>left-over jar of Lord's Salt in a cabinet.  We had made it for Lillies
>(Mid-June) and it was still around.  Having taken the precautions that my
>pathology background provided, I sampled some of the meat.  IT was
>wonderful.  It had even mellowed a little bit.  Now, we do things a little
>differently than the recipe in the Miscellany.  Using a bottle of "Essig"
>(25% acidity vinegar), we made a solution of 7% acidity vinegar (As
>opposed to mixing 5% and 7% as suggested.  IT results in a strongly
>flavored meat that works well for Roast of Meat, and for snacking on with
>bread.  Well, it turns out that it also works well for meat that is still
>safe to eat 4 and a half months later.
>
>Yours in Service.
>
>Cu drag,
>Bogdan

The Calafian Cook's Guild did a redaction involving Lord's Salt many years
ago, and kept some of it in the back of the cabinet "just to see what would
happen". It was pulled out last year (after sitting for a couple of
years?). The meat in it was still perfectly good, tasted wonderful, and was
VERY usable. I do not recall what vinegar they used with it, but I remember
that I really enjoyed the strong spicy/savory flavor that went clear
through the meat.  The last time it came out it had to be "rinsed" a little
at first, to leech out some of the salt, but it was still very good.

Cheers,
Maggie MacD.