SC - A different kind of historical recreation

Mary Morman memorman at oldcolo.com
Mon Nov 8 21:13:31 PST 1999

In a message dated 11/8/99 11:30:27 PM Eastern Standard Time, RuddR at aol.com
writes:

<<  But while you were noting
 substitutions, you might have mentioned that you replaced the cream of
 almonds with a boiled and drained almond paste. >>

My take on this recipe is that it is a custardy type concoction having a
completely different texture than either cream of almonds, almond paste or
almond milk. I have my almonds soaking in water even as I speak and will post
results tomorrow evening.  Meanwhile, unless you are acknowledging a far more
pervasive influence on noble cookery in the medieval Europe than is generally
admitted to, I see little similarity in the European recipes you posted to
the middle eastern version other than ingredients and basic cooking style.

I am not saying you are 'wrong' or 'right' but I am still considerably
concerned that the soaking step was left out. Apparently this was due to
supposed similarities to other recipes of European origin. I would still like
to know the reason for this step being left out of the redaction or more
specifically a period source that acknowledges the step but suggests it be
ignored for whatever unknown reason.

Ras