SC - Cooking Champions of Ansteorra

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Tue Nov 9 09:15:43 PST 1999

On Sun, 7 Nov 1999, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> Deborah Schumacher wrote:
> > Perhaps with an accompanying recipe or two? I know i would love to
> > read all about it.
> > Any chance of getting the   mustard recipe? i would love to try it.
>
> Hmmm. I know the lady with the exhibit of period apple varieties and
> dishes is on this list, or was until recently, at least. Let's give her
> a chance to post something: if she can't for some reason, I have her
> printed handout. As for the mustard recipe, it comes from that new
> Medieval Polish recipe book. Maybe Lord Stefan (or anyone else who has
> it) would be kind enough to post the recipe? Lord Kael, the gentleman
> who ran the extremely groaning day board, also used to be on this list,
> and may still be. Since I never even saw all the food that went out, I
> may not be the best person to discuss it. It certainly smelled great; I
> even tried to photograph it but Lord Kael seemed not to like the idea. I
> did, however, present him with one of my laurel tokens: as per certain
> snide comments on this list ;  ), I brought along little jars of saffron
> and long pepper for the cooks.  As it happens I was so busy just talking
> to people that I never did get to all the people to whom I'd intended to
> present these little tokens.

Yes, I am still on this list, I just have been too busy the past few
months (make that year) to respond to too much.

Re: photographs...  Ur, uhm no....  I think you might have been confusing
the ramblings of a frantic cook.  Pictures would have been appreciated,
I just would have groaned later when I looked at them and saw the
horribly out of period way I was serving things.  Oh well....

As per the token received from Master Adamantius, the jar of long peppers
I received was initially wrapped up in paper and I didn't actually get a
chance to unwrap it until Sunday afternoon.  To say the least, I was
extremely honored to be presented this token, as well as the other tokens
that I received that day.

Regarding recipes:  I do have all of my recipes in a Word Document file
and would be willing to mail them to anyone interested.  (I might post
them on here, if I can get them into a mail friendly format.)

Since I've seen requests for my Savory Toasted Cheese recipe, I will
post it here.  As was stated by someone else, my recipe is a variation
on Cariadoc's, the original is in Digby.

Savory Toasted Cheese:

1 part Brie
2 parts Cream Cheese
2 parts Butter
heavy dash White Pepper

Melt all Dairy products together, stirring constantly (note: I usually
leave the wax on the Brie which is usually the last thing to melt).  When
all melted add the White Pepper, stir and serve.

For the Dayboard, I boiled some asparagus to be served with the cheese
sauce, not imagining that the asparagus would disappear so quickly.

Kael

who has sworn he is never again cooking for an event under these
conditions.  I mean, I was almost in tears when my assistant told me that
we had blown the electric circuit, and I realized that at that moment, I
had absolutely no sources of heat beyond steam tray with sternos.