SC - SC Melted Cheese

Terri Millette wayspiff at ici.net
Tue Nov 9 03:40:56 PST 1999

>Also, general question, whilst I have used blown eggs for decoration, I
>have
>never filled them back up again with anything.  What hygienic solutions
>would one
>offer to sterilising the egg shell before adding chocolate (eg. soak in
>boiling
>water?).

I painted a half-dozen or so emptied eggshells as Christmas ornaments one
Christmas. I was worried about the leftover egg smelling, so I washed them
very carefully in hot soapy water.  My mother may have even made me put some
bleach in it.  First of all, get all your rowdy brothers out of the kitchen,
or even better, out of the house.  Then, hold each eggshell in the water so
that it fills up rather than floats, then pour it out.  Repeat a few times,
then let dry.

Any estimates on how long such a confection would keep and how would
>others keep it.  Basically, if I do the above, I would probably have to do
>about 150 of them.

150?  I think you ought to plan on using molds rather than eggshells!

This past Easter, I bought an Italian candy shell with dark chocolate
coating inside and cracker-jack type toy in the hollow.  They were about the
size of jumbo eggs and cost about $2 each at "A Southern Season" here in
Chapel Hill, NC. They seem to have been made by placing the toy into
chocolate half eggs then sealing that up, then dipped in the candy shell
thick enough to cover the seam, finally dipped in a colored layer of candy.
They were very nifty.

Bonne