SC - HELP...I need some guidance

Micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Wed Nov 10 13:45:22 PST 1999

At 12:42 PM -0500 11/10/99, Eric & Mary Ward wrote:
>(lurk mode off)
>
>I have just recently signed onto this listserv & am finding it very
>educational.  Now I have a request for the members of the list, if I
>may.
>
>I have been asked to make a 'bean pie' for a feast at our local
>Champions Event.
>I have found some recipes in modern cookbooks for it.
>What I would like to ask is:
>
>It has been requested as a dessert.  Would a bean pie be a dessert?
>Would it be considered 'period' & does anyone have a recipe?

Both of these are worked out recipes from the Miscellany

Torta from Red Chickpeas
Platina p. 142 (book 8)

Grind up red chickpeas that have been well cooked with their own
juice and with a little rosewater. When they have been ground, pass
them through a strainer into a bowl. Add a pound of almonds so ground
up that it is not a chore to pass them through the strainer, two
ounces of raisins, three or four figs ground up at the same time. And
besides this, add an ounce of pine kernels coarsely ground, and as
much sugar and rosewater as you need, and just so much cinnamon and
ginger; and blend. Put the mixture into a well-greased pan with the
pastry crust on the bottom. There are those who add starch or pike
eggs, so that this torta is more firm; when it is cooked, put it
almost above the fire to make it more colored. It should be thin and
sprinkled with sugar and rosewater.

1 15 oz can chickpeas, w/ liquid	1 oz pine nuts	(starch or pike eggs)
3/8 c water	1/2 c sugar	2 t more sugar
1 lb almonds	1/8 c rosewater	a few drops more rosewater
2 oz raisins	1 t cinnamon	pastry for 2 9" pie crusts
4 figs	1/2 t ginger

Grind almonds finely, but not to dust. Chop pine nuts coarsely. Grind
chickpeas in a food processor with the liquid from the can, then
grind raisins and figs. Stir these and the sugar, rosewater, extra
water, cinnamon, and ginger together. The pie crust can be rolled out
and put on a 10"x15" cookie sheet or it can be made into two 9" pie
shells. The filling is spread on top; it will be thicker if made as
two pies. Mix extra sugar and rosewater together and sprinkle on top.
Bake 30 to 40 minutes for the cookie-sheet version, or 50-60 minutes
for the pie version, in a 375° oven until golden brown.

- ---

To Make a Tarte of Beans
A Proper Newe Book of Cookery p. 37/C11

Take beanes and boyle them tender in fayre water, then take theym
oute and breake them in a morter and strayne them with the yolckes of
foure egges, curde made of mylke, then ceason it up with suger and
halfe a dysche of butter and a lytle synamon and bake it.

To make short paest for tarte
 A Proper Newe Book p. 37/C10

Take fyne floure and a curscy of fayre water and a dysche of swete
butter and a lyttel saffron, and the yolkes of two egges and make it
thynne and as tender as ye maye.

1/2 lb (1 1/4 c) dry fava beans	1/2 c curds (cottage cheese)	6 T butter
4 egg yolks	4 T sugar	4 t cinnamon

Crust:
6 threads saffron crushed in 1 t cool water	5-6 T very soft butter
1 c flour	2 egg yolks

Put beans in 2 1/2 c of water, bring to boil and let sit, covered, 70
minutes. Add another cup of water, boil about 50 minutes, until soft.
Drain beans and mush in food processor. Cool bean paste so it won't
cook the yolks. Mix in yolks; add cottage cheese (do not drain); add
sugar, butter (soft or in small bits) and cinnamon, then mush it all
together to a thick liquid.

To make crust, mix saffron water into flour; add egg yolks and mix
well (will be crumbly). Add 4 T butter and mix well; add enough of
remaining butter to make a smooth paste. (Amount used depends upon
softness of butter and warmth of kitchen.) Roll smooth and place in
9" pie plate. Crimp edge. Pour into raw crust and bake at 350° for
about 50 minutes (top cracks). Cool before eating.

David Friedman
Professor of Law
Santa Clara University
ddfr at best.com