SC - Marwick Arts Exhibition

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Nov 10 22:49:36 PST 1999

I suspect the term steak in this recipe means roast, as thick slices are
being cut from it.  The usage is Scandinavian as opposed to English.

Harleian 279 (Two Fifteenth Century Cookery Books) has a recipe for "Stekys
of venison or bef." which has the instruction to "gredyl it up brown".  In
other words, cook it on a grate or a gridiron, as we would cook modern
steak.  My copy of the OED (I found one of the Compact OEDs) suggests that
the English usage is for slices of meat for grilling or frying.

The Bayeux Tapestry shows a banquet for William after his landing in England
with steaks being forked from the grill.

Bear