SC - survival/ camp cooking

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at algonet.se
Thu Nov 11 02:26:04 PST 1999

Hauviette asked some questions about the Lord's salt pickling recipes:
> I am going to try out this recipe this weekend. I have some basic questions
> before I start out.
>
> 1.Strong vinegar- someone posted that you need to use 7% versus the ordinary
> 5% acid level, where could I obtain such a vinegar, or is there a name for it
> that would be universal

I think we may have discussed this before, but I'm not sure. You might take a
look in this file in the FOOD section of my Florilegium:
pickled-food-msg  (67K)  9/28/99    Medieval pickled food. recipes.

Some of your other questions might also be answered there.

> 3. This may sound like an amateurish question (oh yeah, I am an amateur), but
> how will I know the difference between cinnamons(zeylanicum vs camphora) in
> the shop? I usually buy the whole bark vs ground because I like the punch
> that you get out of it when grinding it fresh, but how do I know what I am
> buying is one vs the other?  Will it make a significant difference in the end
> result?

We have had a number of discussions on these different types of cinnamon but
right now I can't remember which one is which off the top of my head. I finally
got the rarer type (at least more rare in the US) from the Pepper's Guild at
Pennsic and at a local Indian ethnic food store. I will agree that once you
have seen both types you can tell them apart. For some of our previous
discussion on the types of cinnamon check this file in the PLANTS, HERBS AND
SPICES section:
spices-msg       (132K)  8/ 3/99    Info. on spices, sources for spices.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net