SC - OOP - old cb - help identify language

Erika Thomenius ldygytha at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 11 11:45:14 PST 1999

Hello!  Someone just handed me an old cookbook & asked me to find out what
language it's written in.   The title page reads "Keittokirja, Toimitttanut
New Yorkin Suomalaisten Naisten Osuuskoti, Kustantanut Suomalainen
Sosialistinen Kustannusyhtiö Fitchburg, Mass."  (it is undated, but there
are some clippings dating to 1919 tucked into the book.)

The recipes are in this language & also have  English titles & lists of
ingredients, but not instructions.  It appears to be a CB for recent
immigrants, with recipes like Corn Cakes & Boston Brown Bread but.

Example:  Oisteri-kalopsi -- Scalloped Oysters.
Ota pyöreä muotti, aseta siihen kerros oistereita, ripota päälle
crackerinmuruja, tai...

Etc., etc.

Anyone know?

Cindy