SC - TACT

ChannonM@aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Thu Nov 11 17:23:29 PST 1999

<< Finally I found the info I was looking for.  TACT (Text Analysis
Computing Tools) is available to order from U of Toronto for a
nominal shipping and handling fee (about $3.50, IIRC) ... >>

TACT seems to be a good and powerful tool. Let me add, that there are
several other powerfull tools for the analysis of texts, like TUSTEP,
perl, database systems and some others.

All these systems require two important things:

1 -- the electronic versions of the texts you want to analyse (e.g.: do
we have an electronic Chiquart? an electronic Platina? an electronic
Martino? an electronic Anthimus? an electronic Athenaios? an electronic
Viandier? an electronic Vorselman? an electronic ...)

2 -- knowledge of the expressions and historic word forms (in different
languages), that 'match', e.g. "salsum dominorum" (Harpestraeng) and
"herensalsin" (in the Wiswe-edition). This is not a small problem, given
that many historical texts have no standardized spelling.
(Thus, I think, we all agree that _reading_ will still be an important
activity for many, many years to come.)

Now, let me ask you three questions:
- -- Is there a repertoire of electronic culinary texts somewhere?
- -- Has anybody electroncic texts on her or his harddrive not yet
available on the web?
- -- Anybody willing and able to key in or to proof electronic texts?

Cheers,
Thomas