SC - TACT

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Thu Nov 11 17:34:40 PST 1999

In a message dated 11/11/99 3:12:36 PM Eastern Standard Time,
macdairi at hotmail.com writes:

<< Sounds like a good premise to me, but let's ask the redactor
 what his interpretation of it was...

 Ras? >>

Hard one to call. When I do a feast, I usually put a large pot of water on
the back furthest burner and fill it about half way with water. Since I
normally start feast preparation on Friday evening and do no preprep there is
never a lack of things to throw in the kettle. However, I general restrict
the contents to meat scraps, bones, and skin from the meats that I use. As
each meat is processed, all these things are thrown in the kettle which is
maintained at a simmer until the feast is served or until the contents are
gone. When a recipe calls for good broth or broth I just dip into the kettle
and pour the contents through a strainer to the amount I need.

Those things that require long cooking naturally get a weaker broth because
it is removed from the pot earlier in the day Saturday. Those things that
require a stronger broth such as pies, vegetables and sauces which take less
cooking time and need a broth that is stronger because they have little time
to produce their own get broth from the kettle later in the day after it has
had a chance to concentrate.

This has always worked well for me and I never need to rely on bouillon cubes
or commercially canned broth.

Ras