SC - Egg Yolks

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Thu Nov 11 20:52:32 PST 1999

- -Poster: <Elysant at aol.com>

>> In a message dated 11/10/99 11:42:49 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>> harper at idt.net writes:

><< I know that HG Cariadoc in the Miscellany estimates that medieval eggs
 were about half the size of modern large eggs.  Does the same
 conversion apply to yolks? >>

Ras then wrote

>Small eggs available in any grocery store would be the equivalent in size to
>the majority of medieval eggs.

I have to share in support of this that usually, when I've used traditional
Welsh recipes (including Welshcakes) that have eggs as an ingredient, if I
don't use medium or small eggs, then the number of eggs called for in the
recipe gives me
too much egg quantity for the amounts of the other ingredients in the dish.

If I don't have small eggs at home when I decide to make such a dish, I have
to compensate by whipping up the prescribed number of (larger) eggs I have to
hand and then add just enough beaten egg to give me the consistency I need to
achieve the proper results.

I think this helps confirm that in what appear to be older recipes (even if
Welsh recipes generally can't be documented as "period") the eggs used were
smaller.

Also - Master A.  I'd be interested in finding out more about the
"spatchcocked chickens broiled with breadcrumbs, butter and mustard, supposed
by Theodora FitzGibbon to be 16th-century Welsh" recipe you mentioned in an
earlier post.
I'm not familiar with this lady, and also given the dearth of documentation
on earlier Welsh dishes, I wonder what she bases this supposition on please?
:-)

Elysant