SC - Size of Eggs

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Thu Nov 11 21:28:57 PST 1999

And it came to pass on 11 Nov 99,, that Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Brighid asked a question about the size of medieval egg yolks.
>
> Good question, Brighid. Wish I had the answer for you.

I wish someone had an answer.  However, these particular egg
yolks are going into a yeast dough.  I know how to make yeast
doughs, and to adjust them to a satisfactory consistency.  The
worst that will happen here is that the dough will be a little more
(or less) eggy than the author intended.

[description of roll snipped]
> I guess I'm not that familar with the modern cinnamon roll, but this sure
> sounds like a cinnamon roll to me, with a few (high-class) additions. Is
> there something I'm missing in being confused by why you wouldn't call
> this a cinnamon roll?

I was mostly being flippant.  The main differences (aside from the
presence of rosewater, wine, and dates) is that modern cinnamon rolls
are usually made with brown sugar inside and white icing on top, and
that they are sliced into rounds before baking, rather than being baked
whole, like a jelly roll.  On the other hand, I just realize that this recipe
is remarkably close to the cinnamon babka that I made for my
grandmother a couple of weeks ago.  (It had walnuts and no fruit, but
she did ask me to put in raisins next time I make it for her.)  So I wish
to retract my cinnamon roll comment.  What we have here, folks, is a
medieval Spanish babka!

> Please post your redaction and the original recipe when you work it out.

Recipe to be posted immediately; redaction to follow.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
harper at idt.net