Fwd: SC - OOP - old cb - help identify language

Ryynänen Harri haryynan at levi.urova.fi
Fri Nov 12 01:17:46 PST 1999

And it came to pass on 11 Nov 99,, that david friedman wrote:

[quoting me]
> > > I know that HG Cariadoc in the Miscellany estimates that medieval eggs
> > > were about half the size of modern large eggs.  Does the same
> > > conversion apply to yolks?
>
> As I hope I made clear in the _Miscellany_, that is merely a guess,
> nothing more. I don't have the evidence to back it up--and hope
> someone else will learn more.

You made it quite clear that it was a guess, but an educated guess,
based on what worked in the recipes.

> One possibility is to look at paintings, although the ones most
> likely to give accurate pictures of such things are probably late
> period or post period.

The recipes I've been redacting are mostly late period themselves.

>Someone, I think Marion of Edwinstowe, looked at
> some such and concluded that egg sizes didn't seem that different from
> ours, which suggests that I probably overestimated the difference.

The cookies I made last week called for 2 whole eggs and 10 yolks per
one pound each of sugar and starch.  It seemed to work quite well with
2 large eggs and 8 large yolks.  Perhaps the batter was supposed to be
drier and stiffer than it was, though I doubt it.

> Somewhere out there there has to be a chicken history enthusiast who could
> actually answer the question--anyone know where?

What universities have a particularly distinguished poultry science
department?

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann