SC - Re: survival/ camp cooking

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Fri Nov 12 11:13:43 PST 1999

Ras wrote:
> ... another type of illusion egg if you grind chicken
>breast to a mush and form it around a center of cooked mashed carrots formed
>into a ball? ...

If one doesn't have to use chocolate (which is brown ;-) ), then how about
blanc desire for the white and mawmenny for the yolk? Using recipes from the
end of _Forme of Cury_, or the earlier 14th century MS from which they were
taken (both are in _Curye on Inglysch_). Hardly suitable for Lent, but it
could be quite amusing.

Considering the difficulty of putting such thick filling through a small
hole, I would suggest cracking the eggs by tapping lightly with a metal
untensil all round, saving only the ones that broke most neatly. Roll the
"yolks" into balls and chill them before putting the "whites" (still a bit
warm from cooking) into the half-shells and enclosing the "yolks" therewith.
Chill immediately after assembling. Perhaps the insides of the shells should
be oiled before filling.

Henry of Maldon/Alex Clark