SC - Gulf Wars

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Nov 12 13:54:23 PST 1999

Lady Brighid said:
<<< [2] Remember when we were having the discussion about “flower”
meaning the best of something?  I was tempted to comment that some
Spanish recipes have a phrase that I would be obliged to translate as
“the flower of the flour”.  Well, here it is: “flor de la harina”. >>>

Alas, I do not remember the discussion about "flower" in the sense of
'the best of something'. But I remember when I was thinking about a line
of the Rheinfraenkisches Kochbuch: "vnd du ein melebly dar uff" (and put
some flour-flower upon it; 294r.11 in recipe 70, note page 87).
Commenting on "melebly" (flour-flower), I found that there is also a
latin expression (_flos farinae_) and a French expression (_fleur de
farine_) that is used several times in the 'Menagier'.

I am happy, to add span. "flor de la harina" to the collection now.

Thank you,
Thomas