SC - Recipe: Bizcochos

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Fri Nov 12 20:33:35 PST 1999

In a message dated 11/12/99 9:46:21 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ChannonM at aol.com writes:

<< Would just boiling a whole lotta veggies be
 reasonable? Seems to me I would need to do some sauteing first to build up
 some flavor. What are others ideas?

A vegetable broth could be accomplished in much the same way as the meat
broth except throwing in peelings, as well as reinforcing it with perhaps a
pound of carrots a couple of onions and maybe a stalk or 2 of celery.
Personally, I am reticent to take such an approach because a varied menu with
a good selection usually covers just about anything.

For those who must take such an approach I would recommend leaving any strong
flavored herbs such as seasonings or cabbage and garlic out of the initial
broth. My particular take on the grain broth problem is to simply use water
as the liquid. The remaining dishes in the feast will more than compensate
for any perceived blandness and the grain would become a palate cleanser and
flavor moderator. More importantly, I know of no one allergic to water that
has lived to tell the tale. ;-)

Ras