Special Needs and Allergies at Feasts (was: Re: SC - Good Broth)

Bernadette Crumb kerelsen at ptd.net
Sat Nov 13 07:54:51 PST 1999

In a message dated 11/12/99 9:46:21 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ChannonM at aol.com writes:

<< What are your suggestions about dealing with vegetarians. I am finding a
 large demand for vegetarian friendly feasts and many dishes ie. frumenty,
 require cooking in broth. I can't always use "almond milk" either, due to
 allergy issues and cost. I have made my own meat broth for eons, but havent'
 worked much with vege type. Would just boiling a whole lotta veges be
 reasonable? Seems to me I would need to do some sauteing first to build up
 some flavour. What are others ideas? >>

My solution to this has been to ask the vegetarian members of our shire to
assist me by providing me with veggie broth.  They routinely keep vegetable
peelings in the fridge or freezer until they have enough to do a good batch
of broth for their own use.  I simply tell them how much I think I will need,
and ask them to note what vegetable bits are in it for the ingredients list.
When they have not been able to do this, I've resorted to vegetarian
vegetable bouillon or canned veggie broth (although those usually include
tomato among the ingredients).
Since veggies often don't get cut or prepared until closer to the actual
feast time, depending on what is being done with them, it might be little
more difficult to implement Ras' ever-simmering stockpot for veggie broth -
but if you kept your own household peelings and started it with them, it
might work.
Although at least one person on this list doesn't agree with me, I think, if
the recipe does not specify that it has to be meat broth, and since we know
that vegetables were boiled for various dishes, that it might be reasonable
to use vegetable broth for dishes to be served during Lent.  Until I get a
chance to study any surviving Lenten menus, and see if all of the dishes in
them use almond milk, or if there are others specifying "good broth", I think
using vegetable or possibly fish broth to make vegetarian dishes is logical.

Brangwayna Morgan