SC - Couple of OOP questions..

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Nov 13 20:36:12 PST 1999

Hi, ya'll

I recently found this Italian terra cotta cooking 'pan' in a second hand
store, but have no idea how it's used. I've seen them twice before
second hand, and once since, but never new in a retail store. And I
can't find any reference to them in any Italian cook books.

It's made of two identical (except for a matching male/female lip)
shallow oval 'bowls of unglazed terra cotta, roughly 22.5 cm long, 17 cm
wide, 3 cm deep externally, 2 cm deep internally per oval. Each oval is
held in a metal frame (much like a pair of old spectacles) with a hinge,
closing the two halves together like a clamshell, along the long axis.
Each half of the frame has a long handle that meets the other. The
handles are covered in non-heat resistance plastic (ergo, the whole
thing does not go into the oven like a clay baker.

Each half is imprinted with (and rough guess translations):

La cotta brevettata (the quick little cooker?)
La salute e nella cotta (the healthy, but better cooker/cooking)
marchio depositato (registered trademark)

I wasn't able to find 'brevettata' in the dictionary.

Any idea what dish this might be used for?

The other question was on behalf of a mundane friend looking for a
recipe for a dish called Tres Leches, a "flan" type dish, as she called
it.

Thanks

Seumas