SC - Millet recipe

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Sun Nov 14 06:28:57 PST 1999

In a message dated 11/13/99 11:04:38 PM Eastern Standard Time,
lilinah at grin.net writes:

<< Uh, maybe i'm being a bit weird here, but as an ex-vegetarian and the
 mother of a current vegetarian, i never knew that a fish was a
 vegetable :-)

 Suitable for certain meatless Medieval dishes, yes, but not for
 modern vegetarian dishes... >>

Notice I said "possibly fish broth".  My thinking was that a) many
vegetarians (yes, I know not all of them) eat fish; and b) fish is an
acceptable period food for Lent, so fish broth would also be acceptable in
period for Lent.
I think it is nearly impossible to cook a medieval meal which would satisfy,
for instance, one of the vegan variety of vegetarians.  Most of the ember day
version of things use eggs and butter, and I'm not even sure most of the
Lenten fare would meet their requirements.  In general, I follow Lord Ras'
example and try to make a large variety of items, without too many having
overlapping ingredients, but I will use vegetable broth if a recipe simply
says "good broth" and that is the only thing needed to make the recipe
vegetarian.  If the recipe specifies "meat broth" or "broth of beef" or some
such, I will not substitute.  We have vegetarians in our shire, as well as a
lady allergic to both the alcohol and the sulfites in wine, and I will not
cook a feast of which my own shire members cannot eat most of the dishes.
I do note on my menus and ingredients list when I have changed something from
the original.  If it's not obvious why I changed it, people can ask me.

Brangwayna Morgan