SC - Good Broth

Mordonna22@aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Sun Nov 14 09:40:42 PST 1999

UlfR wrote:

If stored properly (cool, dark and airy) onions will last for months
with no "preservation".
> grains: pasta, instant rice, instant oatmeal, steel cut oats
Why the instant crap^Wversions? Get the real stuff instead.

The problem is, in Florida "cool, dark and airy" is hard to come by...humidity is usually at 70%, and even in the winter, the temps are 80 or above...plus, palmetto bugs and roaches are atrocious (which is going to be a big battle with all the trash from the canned goods anyway *sigh*). The reason I chose instant stuff, especially rice, is that they take less water than the real thing. Also, the canned veggies and beans have water already in them which I can use in food preparation. Root veggies don't stand a chance in the FL climate...they either sprout or rot rapidly, and are a bug magnet. Wolfmother, are you out there? I was hoping you'd have some ideas for the uniquely Trimarian problems I'll encounter... Thanks for the water ideas Puck and Phlip, I added them to my files. FL water is pretty nasty even straight from the tap...swamp water with chlorine added. The pet bowls get a scum on the bottom of them overnight. I planned to have bleach on-hand, but shock might even be cheaper in the long run, and it's definitely available in Florida!

Aislinn C. C.
- ---
Take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim.
Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.
                                   - Elie Wiesel