SC - Good Broth

Marilyn Traber margali at 99main.com
Sun Nov 14 12:10:03 PST 1999

And it came to pass on 14 Nov 99,, that Jo Marie Friedel wrote:

> Are there any 14th C French recipes for shellfish (in particular,
> mussels and shrip/prawns)?  I see lots for fish and eels but have yet to
> run across any for shellfish.

Yes.  Scully, in _Early French Cookery_ (a book you might wish to look
at) has a recipe for mussels that comes out of the Viandier.  They're
cooked in water and vinegar with mint (optional).  Serve with vinegar,
green verjuice, or green garlic sauce.  Shrimp (also according to the
Viandier), are boiled in wine and water, with a little salt, and served with
vinegar.

> Does anyone have a recipe for a medieval onion soup? ( I have lots for
> modern versions but no medieval ones).

I believe there are several recipes in the Floriligeum under "soups".

>    Yours in peace(and the kitchen),
>                         Tygre Marie

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)