SC - Grapes and needing help

kylie walker kyliewalker at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 14 20:15:09 PST 1999

> uther at lcc.net writes:
> <<
>  I have a friend who does pottery and has volunteered to make me some
>  plates, bowls, etc. to use when I do period displays, meals, and the like.
>  What I need are pictures to show him.  Could anyone recomend a few good
>  source books or perhaps a web site or two?
>  thanks alot,
>  gwyneth >>
>
>     How lovely! I'm just a "wannabe" potter--no wheel, or space to put one,
> but I've been signed up on the SCA potters list since it started. I'll toss
> your question over to it--Master Hroar, from that list, joined us here a few
> months ago, but he's been so quiet that I don't know if he's still
> here.............. :-)
>
>                 Ldy Diana

Master Hroar seems to know what he is talking about. I think all the pieces
he was selling at Pennsic were backed up with at least some period evidence.
Many of his comments can be found in this file in the CRAFTS section of
my Florilegium:
pottery-msg       (72K)  8/26/99    Medieval pottery, kilns. modern equivalents.

I have a bibliography from him that he gave me at Pennsic. When I get the time
I will be posting this in the Florilegium.

Gwyneth, you might find this file in the FOOD section to be of use, too. But
since the Florilegium is only text at this point, it will be the referances
given in this file which will be of the most use:
p-tableware-msg   (34K)  6/ 1/99    Period tableware. Period referances

These files in the FOOD section and the FOOD-BREAD sections might also be
of use:
utensils-msg     (133K) 10/ 1/99    Utensils, plates, trenchers, cast iron pots.
trenchers-msg     (32K)  9/15/99    Wooden and bread trenchers. Plates.

I think though that you are going to have to narrow down the window of the
cultures and time frame that you are interested in to get a lot of useful
information. The tableware of 15th Century Italy will differ quite a bit
from that of say 4th Century Scotland.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net