SC - sommate di Napoli

Thomas Gloning Thomas.Gloning at germanistik.uni-giessen.de
Mon Nov 15 09:53:34 PST 1999

In a message dated 11/15/99 10:20:19 AM Eastern Standard Time,
agora at algonet.se writes:

<< Thank you for your very clarifying and well argumented answer, lord Ras.
 I agree with you in the wish of of a more "open" or wide definition of
 "period".  >>

Agreed. On a personal note, I have been openly discouraged from submitting
Apician recipes to A&S because its "not period". When I looked at the copora,
it only states pre-17C. No date is set on the other end. Now, doing cave man
stuff may be rediculous, but Imperial Roman, as in 1-4th C (what Apicius is
purported to be from) what is non period in that. Even so, it has spurred me
on to analyze the similarities between Roman and later period foods, what
connections are there, if any? It has led me to a better understanding of
Apician recipes and a deeper appreciation for the art of cooking. Either way,
I am enjoying the pursuit and thats what it's all about.

I hope the same for all other gentles.

Hauviette