SC - WAY OT,OOP invitation

Richard Kappler II rkappler at home.com
Mon Nov 15 15:16:14 PST 1999

Well, one of my book orders arrived today, plus I raided a used and rare
book store I've been meaning to get to for a while.  Just perusing what I
have received, a couple of observations on recent topics:

One of the books I received was the Domostroi.  My memory is not at its best
right now, but IIRC we had a discussion on vodka recently and determined
that it prolly wasn't period.  Nay nay moosebreath!  Domostroi discusses
distillation of vodka as well as mead, although not in the depth I would
like.  As Domostroi is period, and as the lack of depth implies that any
good Russian wife would already know the mechanics of making vodka, I'm
inclined to believe it traces back well into period, though I cannot YET
prove it with any certainty.

Additionally, I found a copy of _Fast and Feast_ at the booksellers
yesterday, and it has the most interesting anecdote regarding our recent
discussion of toasted cheese and the Welsh.  'Twould seem that, in the
beginning, the Welsh were allowed in heaven as well as everyone else, but
Yaweh soon tired of them and asked St Peter to do something about it.  St
Peter, being the enterprising gate keeper he is said to be, rogered up on it
and came up with a plan.  One fine day St. Peter stepped ever so slightly
outside the pearly gates, hollered "Cause bobe" which I take it translates
to roasted cheese.  The Welsh tenants of heaven then ran out, searching for
their favorite foodstuff.  St Peter stepped back in, locked the gate and
Yaweh was troubled by the Welsh no more.  Or so the story of the "Case of
the Fatal Welsh Rarebit" would have us believe.

reading on, Puck