SC - SC: submerged cap method (was Grapes Very Long ...)

kylie walker kyliewalker at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 15 18:18:26 PST 1999

ChannonM at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 11/15/99 8:16:18 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> rkappler at home.com writes:
>
> <<
>  This seems like a very high alcohol content to me.  AFAIK, the only yeasts
>  that can survive in this intense an alcohol environment are the champagne
>  yeasts, yet you do not mention this.  Is this a lack of knowledge on my
>  part? >>

> I'm afraid I don't understand the question?
>
> Hauviette

If I understand Wulfrith correctly, he means that the yeast strains that
can handle such a concentration of alcohol without going dormant and/or
dying are champagne yeast strains that wouldn't have been isolated or
developed until the 17th century. Dom Perignon, etc. Other wine yeasts,
in my experience, anyway, seem to reach a maximum of 12% or so...

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com