SC - French toast?

Bronwynmgn@aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Mon Nov 15 18:36:18 PST 1999

Seumas sprach:

[snip: terra cotta dish question which has been dealt with]
> The other question was on behalf of a mundane friend looking for a
> recipe for a dish called Tres Leches, a "flan" type dish, as she called
> it.
> Seumas

Not quite; flan is more of a custard.  Tres Leches (Spanish for three
milks) is a cake soaked in 3 forms of milk.  IIRC, sweetened condensed
milk, evaporated milk, and cream.  The result is a dense, saturated
intensely sweet and squishy morsel of paradise.  Not for the faint of
heart (or the conscious of heart).

As with most traditional dishes, there are as many variations as there
are cooks.  The Mexicans lay claim to it while at the same moment it
it is touted as "Nicaragua's most famous dessert" and is standard fare
at Cuban cafes in Miami.  Your mileage _will_ vary.

I bet some of the native Ansteorrans on the list know somebody who
knows somebody who has "the" recipe.

I just did a quick search for "tres leches" and got versions ranging
from a meringued pie to a more cake-like version topped with whipped
cream (possibly the wily, nefarious, and rampant Quatro Leches Cake of
Mexican mythical legend which was eventually defeated in single combat
by the wing-ed serpent god Queztocoatl).

My mother was trained to cook "properly" by my father's mother (who
barely spoke English).  She wasn't about to let her hijo Beto be taken
away by a gringa unless that gringa could cook for him. :)  Lucky for
me growing up, they were both excellent cooks.  When I would eat
dinner at the other kids' houses, I would wonder "why is their food so
plain and lifeless?"

Fond memories of my Ma's "Three leech cake",
Iyad ibn Bisharo, Shire of Easaraigh, Kingdom of Meridies
Chip Allen, Cookeville, TN
jallen at multipro.com