SC - new books arrived

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Nov 15 22:15:19 PST 1999

ChannonM at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 11/15/99 4:30:20 PM Eastern Standard Time, seumas at mind.net
> writes:
>
> << Only the two main groups in
>  northern modern day Italy and in Aquitaine had a written language
>  (according to the Romans).  >>
>
> Actually there was a written language of Oghams(line markings) that were used
> by pre Roman Irish Celts. I don't know all there is to about it, but I know
> that it was used.

Use of Ogham script prior to the 4th century CE is a matter of
traditional belief, but there is no evidence of it. Hence it use is not
documentable until just before the Romans left the British Isles (406
CE), after having been there a little over four centuries. Also of note
is most ogham inscriptions are given names with patronymics, and the
Welsh inscriptions are bi-lingual, accompanied by a _Latin_ inscription.
And the fact that two characters of ogham, the 'h' and 'z' are not in
Erse (Irish Gaelic), suggesting that the ogham script/alphabet was
imported. BTW, there is an /h/ in Classical Latin, often missing in
Vulgar Latin; and some scholars think the /s/ was pronounced closer to a
lispy /z/ and is retained in easter Romance languages.

Seumas