SC - Last unanswered Buffet menu

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Tue Nov 16 07:52:08 PST 1999

On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, Richard Kappler II wrote:
<snip>
> Henisch speaks of the gluttony on Shrove Tuesday to get rid of all the
> perishables before lent begins.  One of her passages involves a recipe that
> sounds much to me like French Toast:
>
> Pain Perdu:
> (redacted/paraphrased): soak slices of bread in wine and rosewater.  Dredge
> in beaten eggs and sugar.  Fry, sprinkle with sugar.
>
> thoughts? Puck

The Hampton Court Cookery Book has an original recipe for "pain perdu" as
an example of Tudor cookery.  When I was cooking my way through the
book, I skipped the pain perdu, because it seemed too much like Henry
VIII's french toast.  (Instead, I made the salmon pie. Recipe page is
still under construction at: www.geocities.com/~ariann/SalmonPie.html.
The aulese in the upper left corner was recommended by Lord Ras).  My book
is in NM and I'm in AZ, so I will post the original pain perdu and the
redaction on Sat.

Ariann