SC - Re: Apicius site, some thoughts

BanAvtai@aol.com BanAvtai at aol.com
Tue Nov 16 11:30:45 PST 1999

I was reading over the ingredients list at the Apicius site I sent. Apparently the author did not have access to a good herb book such as Lust's. Satureja hortensis is savory. Lavisticum officinale is lovage. According to Reay Tannahill's _Food in History_, which is my current reading material, silphium is NOT asofetida, but asofetida was used as a substitute for silphium when the herb died out in the time of Nero due to overcropping. I found a version of silphium in the New World, silphium perfoliatum, or ragged cup, which Lust states was used by the Amerinds as a general tonic. I have no idea if it is the same plant used by the Romans. Tannahill gives an intriguing process for making liquamen in her book. Would modern oyster sauce make a good substitute? Adamantius?

Aislinn C. C.
- ---
Take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim.
Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.
                                   - Elie Wiesel