SC - Re: Apicius site, some thoughts

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Nov 16 18:04:24 PST 1999

Pug Bainter wrote:

> My house has some hybred of ale/champagne yeast that I rather enjoy. I
> have only done one batch so far with the wild yeast in my house so far,
> and it was an accident that I rather enjoyed.

That's okay, I have a particular shelf in my apartment which seems to
house penicillium that's perfect for Stilton cheese...

These increased alcohol contents as reported are simply beyond my
experience, but I'd have to question the math used to arrive at them,
unless you're dealing with completely different yeasts than even modern
authorities are speaking of. I'm not saying these percentages are off, I
just have to wonder why people like Papazian, Andre Simon, Alexis
Lichine and others all seem to feel such percentages are impossible.

As for whether any of this proves must is verjuice, it seems unlikely.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com