SC - Conversations about Eggs (long)

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Nov 16 20:14:00 PST 1999

You wrote:
> > My house has some hybred of ale/champagne yeast that I rather enjoy. I
> > have only done one batch so far with the wild yeast in my house so far,
> > and it was an accident that I rather enjoyed.
> That's okay, I have a particular shelf in my apartment which seems to
> house penicillium that's perfect for Stilton cheese...

Hmmm. Never tried cheese. Been avoiding it with the active brewing.

> These increased alcohol contents as reported are simply beyond my
> experience, but I'd have to question the math used to arrive at them,
> unless you're dealing with completely different yeasts than even modern
> authorities are speaking of.

I admit that I don't know much about chemistry, but it seems pretty
simple with my hydrometer.

OG potential alcohol % - FG potential alcohol % = Actual alcohol %

Of course adjusted for temperature of the liquid. And yes, I have
calibrated my hydrometer to ensure accuracy.

> I'm not saying these percentages are off, I
> just have to wonder why people like Papazian, Andre Simon, Alexis
> Lichine and others all seem to feel such percentages are impossible.

Well I have only read parts of Papzian, and from what I've read, it is
mostly because he is dealing with non-high fermentable sugar beverages.
Since some sugars are not easily fermented, there is still sugar left
eventhough the fermentation has stopped. Cider and meads have high
levels of fermemtables. (Usually with FG of .994) As well, I don't
remember him going out of the realm of what a yeast is typcially used
for. Such as an ale yeast being used for mead. (Instead of that nasty
wyeast mead yeast that makes it so damn winey!)

I admit that my experimentation with different types of yeasts in this
manner are limited. I use a specific brand of Ale yeast, Whitbread,
for the most part since it gives a good flavor and goes to a high
enough alcohol percentage. With it generally not going above 12-14%,
that is more than enough alocohol for most things. I try not to use the
Pasteur Champagne yeast since it ate upto 22% before finally dieing.

> As for whether any of this proves must is verjuice, it seems unlikely.

That's true, so we can take this private if wanted to continue.
Otherwise it can die as all good horses should.

Ciao,

- --