SC - Re: cheese question

Jessica Tiffin jessica at beattie.uct.ac.za
Wed Nov 17 08:59:13 PST 1999

Angeline said:
> I am testing a recipe for Norwegian Pasties
> that has the following ingredients:
> Beef
> semisoft cheese
> pine nuts, currants
> salt/pepper, and ginger.
> > YOu put the above ingredients in a pie shell and make sort of a turnover,
> > or at least that's the way I've read it, and I was wondering what cheese
> > people recommend as a soft cheese?

Hmmm, this sounds very like the rather good Nourroys Pies recipe from
Taillevent (I know it from Cariadoc's Miscellany):

"Take meat well cooked and hashed fine, pine nuts, currants and
cottage cheese chopped fine, and a little sugar and a little salt.
To make little Lorez pies, like great pies or those above, and fry
them, and don't let them be too large, and whoever wishes to make
"lettuces" or "little ears," must make rounds of pastry, the one
larger than the other, and fry in deep fat until they are as hard as
if cooked on the hearth; and if you wish, gild them with gold leaf or
silver leaf or saffron."

These are really good with cottage cheese (I make them with chicken):
surely you could interpret "semisoft cheese" as cottage cheese?  It
makes a very moist pie filling with a wonderful flavour.

Jehanne

Lady Jehanne de Huguenin  *  Seneschal, Shire of Adamastor, Cape Town
(Jessica Tiffin, University of Cape Town)
Sable, three owls rising argent, each maintaining a willow slip vert.
users.iafrica.com/m/me/melisant/stidings.htm