SC - Re: Apicius site, some thoughts

ChannonM@aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Wed Nov 17 04:18:00 PST 1999

David/Cariadoc wrote:
>1. I find the pre-columbian stories on the introduction of New World
>foods implausible, because we know that post-columbus they spread
>very fast.

I´m very sceptical of these theories too but there seem to be some
unresolved questions here and I would very much like to read the Jeffreys
article - has anyone here seen it? Also does anyone know what types of maize
were grown in Asia and Africa in the early 16th century?

>2. I have seen a different explanation for Indian corn, I think in
>Finan, John J., _Maize in the Great Herbals_. Apparently Pliny
>describes something he calls Indian corn, presumably because it came
>from India.

I know I was reading a discussion on Pliny´s Indian corn fairly recently, I
just can´t remember now where it was, or what it was thought to be. Not
maize, certainly.

Nanna