SC - I've Really Done It This Time <sigh>

kat kat at kagan.com
Wed Nov 17 12:01:06 PST 1999

><< Pain Perdu:
>  (redacted/paraphrased): soak slices of bread in wine and rosewater.
>Dredge
>  in beaten eggs and sugar.  Fry, sprinkle with sugar.
>   >>

>I know I've seen this, and thought it may have been Taillevent but can't
>find
>my copy at the moment. When I find it I'll post.

I'm reading Markham and Digby at the moment, and at least one of them
mentions Pain Perdy or some other such not quite the same.  IN that one, the
extra egg is poured over the bread when the second side is cooking.  I'll
hunt it up and post it.

I've come across variations of this often, it's so common, I've thought of
usiing it as a dessert, or as a replacement dish for vegetarians if I'm not
clever enough to balance out the course some other way.  Simple enough to
have someone fry up a panful or two for my non-carniverous friends.

Here's a question to ask the whole lot of you:  What do you put on French
Toast?

My grandmother's family is the only family I know of who eats French toast
sprinkled with as much powdered sugar as you can get away with while momma
isn't watching, then a sprinkling of cinnamon.  How very medieval, I now
realize.  Everyone else I've ever met puts syrup or honey on them, like
pancakes.  My daughters learned the sugar and cinnamon at my house, syrup at
their dad's house, and now attempt to get away with BOTH, while momma isn't
watching, of course.

Bonne