SC - cinnamon

Terri Millette wayspiff at ici.net
Thu Nov 18 00:22:53 PST 1999

Anne-Marie Rousseau wrote:

> me, I'm a peanut butter girl. Or a citrus or lavendar syrup. Maple is so
> pedestrian! :)

You suffer, I think, from a severely jaded palate, ma'am. There's lots
of good stuff out there, but that doesn't make maple syrup pedestrian.
Molasses, on the other hand... ;  ) . Actually you reminded me of
another typical presentation at my place (someone else mentioned this
too), which is butter, a squeeze of lemon, and bar sugar. Now that I
think about it, I've also been known to make a rum-flavored sweet
Hollandaise sauce to serve with fruit and pancakes. I assume it would be
pretty good with F.T.

> tho my favorite way to eat french toast is in a Monte Cristo sandwich! and
> then you gotta have the sugar and strawberry jam...

These are two different presentations, right? I've heard of fruit with a
monte cristo, but not sugar and strawberry jam...but then I've never
been to Seattle.

> brownie points to anyone who knows what a monte cristo is, and extra
> brownie points if you know a place in Seattle to get them where they're
> made right...

I have no idea where they're made right in Seattle; there seems to be
some dispute as to whether ham or turkey slices are included with the
Swiss cheese, and whether the sandwich is baked or deep-fried. I also
gather there's some debate over whether an eggy batter, as for French
toast, or a flour-laced fritter batter is used.

Hey, many versions I've seen sold as monte cristos are just what we'd
call grilled ham and Swiss cheese with a dipping sauce on the side. I
assume there's more to it than that. But then it all seems to me to be
imitations of the croque-monsieur...

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy