SC - Venetian Supremacy

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Nov 18 19:39:28 PST 1999

- --- Jeff Gedney <JGedney at dictaphone.com> wrote:

> Maple Syrup is marginally period, BTW, the English
> brought some back
> from Florida (reference the adventures of Sir John
> Hawkins) in the 1560's
> (along with tobacco, which the French were already
> familiar with from
> explorations in Florida)
>
> Brandu

Florida????  I doubt very much if Hawkins found Sugar
Maples in Florida. They are a native of Eastern North
America.  The Sugar Maple tree needs a long freeze in
order to produce the proper sap.  I know of no place
in Florida where the climate is cold enough to produce
maple sap. Which is why Vermont, Wisconsin and Quebec
are the leading producers of Maple Syrup.

As for maple syrup being period, it is not.  It is
definitely post period.  The Native Americans did tap
the trees during period, but they didn't appear to
have shared the secret until the mid 17th century.

Huette