SC - French toast -OOP recipes

cclark@vicon.net cclark at vicon.net
Thu Nov 18 20:51:06 PST 1999

Since I'm doing French Toast this weekend, I went ahead and printed out a
few period recipies.  I thought folks here would like the compilation.
Christianna

Period French Toast Recipies

Two 15th Century Cookbooks (Take a Thousand Eggs)
Harleian MS. 4016
80. Payn purdeuz.  Take faire yolkes of eyren, and try hem fro the white,
and drawe hem thorgh a streynour; and then take salte, and caste thereto;
And then take manged brede or paynman, and kutte hit in leches; and then
take faire buttur, and clarefy hit, or elles take fressh grece and put
hit yn a faire pan, and make hit hote; And then wete the brede well there
in the yolkes of eyren, and then ley hit on the batur in the pan, whan
the buttur is al hote; And then whan hit is fried eyowe, take sugur
ynowe, and caste there-to whan hit is in the disshe, And so serve hit
forth.

Platina (1475) 8.63  Golden Balls

Toast chunks of bread crust a little on both sides.  When they are
toasted, soften with rose water in which there are both beaten eggs and
ground sugar. When they are taken out, fry in a pan with butter or fat,
far apart so that they do not touch each other.  When they are fried and
transferred into a serving dish, sprinkle with sugar and rosewater
colored with saffron.  This pleases M.
Antonius, not undeservedly, for it fattens the body, helps liver and
kidneys, and stimulates passion.

An Ordinance of Potage  (15th Cent.)
110. Payn purdyeu.
Take payndemayn or fresch bredd; pare awey the crustys.  Cut hit in
schyverys; fry hem a lytyll yn claryfyd buture.  Have yolkes of eyren
drawyn thorow a streynour & ley the brede theryn that hit be al helyd
with bature. Then fry in the same buture, & serve hit forth, & strew on
hote sygure.