SC - The spiritual significance of French toast

ChannonM@aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Fri Nov 19 07:22:01 PST 1999

> In fact, it
> makes quite a point of saying that _everything_ (spice wise) that went to
> Venice came through Cairo and Alexandria.  This is incorrect, IMO, but as
> far as using this for support of your contention in this discussion, seems
> to me that makes them pretty darn important centers of commerce as well.
>
> regards, Puck

Most of the spices shipped by sea, were delivered to Cairo, having been
shipped from India to Mocha when the winds were favorable, then were usually
sent north on the Red Sea to a port just south of Cairo.

If you are willing to consider a slightly earlier set of records, the Tax
Laws of the Kingdom of Jerusalem, clearly show that some spices came via
caravan from the East to Jerusalem.  They apparently were not as choice as
spices arriving by sea, because the tariffs are lower.

Bear