SC - cinnamon

Ann Sasahara ariann at nmia.com
Sat Nov 20 09:33:23 PST 1999

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> While we can see
> what looks like pretzels in the pictures, we don't know that they
> were made the same way or taste like modern pretzels.

And, it should be noted that at least _some_ of what we see in pictures
may actually be ciambole or jumbles, and while some of those are
actually rather similar to pretzels, some are more like a brittle
cookie. But that open knot is apparently a common shape for them.

Now, I don't believe I've seen a waffle recipe from period, but I've
seen plenty of wafer recipes, most of which aren't too different from
the period pancake recipes I've seen (think crepes or something along
those lines, raised with egg, not baking powder, and in many cases not
even with yeast). Since modern pancake and waffle batter recipes are
usually for the most part interchangable, and period pancake and wafer
batter recipes are pretty much interchangable, the temptation is strong
to assume it's possible period waffles were made in the same way as
period pancakes and wafers. Not necessarily an infallible logical path,
but a tempting one.

> pancakes. Any idea what they would have used on top of them, Maple
> syrup being from North America and I assume out of period.

I believe le Menagier and several others which have crepe, crisp,
pancake, and wafer recipes tend to state that sugar is the appropriate
garnish for all fried meats, sweet or savory. These would come under
that category. Ever have zeppoles?

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy