SC - maple syrup

Jeff Gedney JGedney at dictaphone.com
Sat Nov 20 10:07:12 PST 1999

Greetings to the list,

"The Herb Companion" December 1997 (v. 10, n 2) had a 6 page article on
the different types of cinnamon/cassia.  There is a nice display photo of
all the barks and all the ground powders.  The featured recipes are
Fezanjan (Persian, duck in pomagranate juice) and Medivnyk (Ukranian,
Honey cakes). There are additional articles on cinnamon harvesting and how
to grow a cinnamon tree (disappointing article).  The rest of the magazine
is pretty much worth having.

Since it's the Yule/Xmas issue there are festive recipes for punch,
kumquat pomanders, cookies, rosehip garlands, etc.  The "field trip" is to
The New Orleans Pharmacy Museum. Their cosmetic recipes are OOP, from
1873. There are other articles on mortars & pestles, cranberries and an
interview w/ mystery writer, Susan Wittig Albert (Lavender Lies, Rueful
Death, Witches' Bane, Rosemary Remembered, etc)

I have ordered back issues from:

Herb Companion Press, LLC
1 Gardener's Grove
POB 4101
Golden, CO 80401-0101

at $4.95 an issue, w/ $2 S&H/ issue

or try, 303/278-1010

or try, www.DiscoverHerbs.com/

Perhaps, even Martha Stewart would agree, "It's a good thing".

Ariann