SC - pictures of feasts

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Sat Nov 20 17:41:42 PST 1999

><< So where did the name "French" Toast ever come from? And when? >>
>
>From Miraim-Webster:
>
>French toast (noun)
>
>First appeared 1871
>
> : bread dipped in a mixture of egg and milk and sauteed

But A Gourmet´s Guide says: "In a seventeenth-century cookery book, R. May´s
The Accomplisht Cook (1660), we find this recipe: "French Toasts. Cut French
Bread, and toast it in pretty thick toasts on a clean gridiron, and serve
them steeped in claret, sack, or any wine, with sugar and juice of orange."
This is essentially the dish which survived into the early twentieth century
as poor knights pudding."

I´m currently reading The Melting Pot - Balkan Food and Cookery, by Maria
Kaneva Johnson (the best source for traditional Balkan cooking I´ve yet
seen, by the way) and she has a recipe for bread dipped in an egg and milk
or white wine mixture, fried in butter and served with cinnamon sugar,
apricot jam, golden syrup or orange-marmelade sauce, and says this about it:

"Palace bread, Sarajski hlyab (Bulgarian, from the Turkish saray ekmegi),
also known in the north-eastern part of the country as dzidzhi papo which is
childish language for something pretty to eat, deriving from the Turkish
cici, toy, pretty, and the Bulgarian papam, I eat; pohovane snite sa vinom
(Croat, meaning egg-coated fried slices with wine) and pohane vinske snite
(Slovenian, egg-coated, fried wine slices), from the German Schnitte,
slice."