SC - maple syrup

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Nov 20 20:47:24 PST 1999

- -Poster: <Elysant at aol.com>

>Maybe is is a personal goal or ideal but shouldn't we be looking to recreate
the >things that were more common not bizzare or out of the ordinary.

This makes me wonder too sometimes - in our field - are the contents of the
primary sources we use to recreate our feasts filled with dishes that were
commendable, special and spectacular and therefore recorded for posterity, or
are they dishes that were "typical" of items cooked in the kitchens of the
chefs?

A lot of the mundane cookbooks I've collected from the different states in
this country are from "Leagues" and are a collection of regional recipes as
made in the homes of the people in that area.  Is this more what we have -
only from one Chef's collection?

Personally, I think what we have is a combination.  Even when the more exotic
menus are included, there are simple dishes in amongst the more elaborate
dishes.  And usually there is some indication, when all of the recipes in a
source are overviewed, that certain things were commonly cooked, and accepted
as everyday cooking methods etc.

What do others think?

>There is far more to a persona than just having garb.  There are
>all sorts of cultural issues: education, past times, fears and beliefs
>(religious or otherwise), work, class structure, etc.  Trying to have a
complete
>and unified persona is very difficult...

On this point, I find it more meaningful for me to take an anthropological vs
a historical approach.

Elysant