SC - Embarrassing Question...

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sun Nov 21 17:38:55 PST 1999

In a message dated 11/21/99 4:03:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,
oftraquair at hotmail.com writes:

<< And isn't that a nifty portable looking chafing dish thing the egg cooking
 pot is sitting upon?  Let's all add that to our dream medieval  kitchen
 descriptions!

 Bonne >>

I was more impressed with the egg size. Up until this century goose eggs were
regularly used in the kitchen. I am wondering if the artists took license and
painted goose eggs or if goose eggs were used in recipes which clearly
indicate that eggs is the main ingredient while other fowl eggs were used in
baking, etc.?

Are there any period sources that deal with either animal husbandry or
agriculture and farming in general which could shed any light on this?
Oftentimes we try to make our judgments about cooking items based on the
'recipes' rather than outside sources which would be more accurate and
provide information not contained in the recipe itself.

Are manuals dealing directly with the raising of animals and the growing of
plants as widely published as cookery manuals? If so, documentation, please.
If not, why has the 'academic' world who has access to those manuscripts been
reticent to publish them or make them available to the general public?

Ras