SC - SC _ Embarrassing queston (apple peeler)

Susan P Laing Susan.P.Laing at mainroads.qld.gov.au
Sun Nov 21 18:23:18 PST 1999

Ras asked:
> Are there any period sources that deal with either animal husbandry or
> agriculture and farming in general which could shed any light on this?
> Oftentimes we try to make our judgments about cooking items based on the
> 'recipes' rather than outside sources which would be more accurate and
> provide information not contained in the recipe itself.
>
> Are manuals dealing directly with the raising of animals and the growing of
> plants as widely published as cookery manuals? If so, documentation, please.

You might try looking at these two bibliographies in the PLANTS, HERBS AND
SPICES section of my Florilegium:
gardening-bib      (9K)  6/ 3/99    Bibliography on medieval gardening
                                       by Raisya Khorivovna.
p-agriculture-bib (19K)  3/23/99    Bibliography of period agricultural
                                       practices by Laurie Brandt (Pegasus)

The second one is more than half listings of period manuscripts. So I would
say there were a number of such publications. Since I have no idea how
many cookery manuals there were, I have no idea how these compare. A number
of these are going to be gardening and not animals but I noted at least
one had "husbandry" in the title, so I imagine it has to do with animals.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net