SC - Embarrassing Question...

Jo Marie Friedel jazzi at alltel.net
Mon Nov 22 04:13:44 PST 1999

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> Sounds like they skewed the contest toward the knife user since the only
> times I have had those problems with my peeler was when I used the pretty
> mush varieties of apples or ones that had become soft on their own. I would
> tend to dismiss the supposed 'test' you cite out of hand considering my own
> experience.
>
> Ras

Well, certainly all the commentary has been positive, with the exception
of Stefan's observations. However, I'll say that problems other than
those due to soft apple varieties or poorly stored apples might be due
to a range of quality between different brands/versions of the Apple
Exploder, and quite possibly a lack of skill or common sense on the part
of the infomercial geeks. I mean, these people are television
professionals, and, for example, how many of the people that pick up
knives on television (Jacques Pepin and Anthony Perkins in drag
notwithstanding) actually know how to hold and use them?

I don't know that I'd dismiss Stefan's observed phenomena out of hand (I
mean, he saw what he saw), but I'd think it likely that there's some
extenuating circumstance, something that wasn't done right or the test
was done with a bum machine. I don't think I'd assume the basic design
or machine category was bad. Possibly the thing to do is to avoid the
"As seen on TV!!!" blurb on the label?

My thanks again for all the helpful commentary!

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com