SC - Assistance Please - Kiev 1300s feast?

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Nov 22 11:57:56 PST 1999

>Bonne asked:
> > Is it too late to offer the two of you the recipe from Gervase Markham's
> > "The English Housewife"?
>
>It may or may not be too late for the two of them, but it isn't for me.
>Thank you. This message and recipe will be added to my future
>French-Toast-msg
>file.
>--
>Lord Stefan li Rous

That's going to be a neat resource for someone teaching and introduction to
medieval food sort of class.  Whether or not you cook any of the recipes and
offer tastes, the collection itself will be useful in demonstrating that
medieval food is not weird and unfamiliar.   I'm teaching a class in January
that may change to this.  I'm no longer as interested in teaching the class
I'd originally planned on last winter (the event has been postponed
twice).This could be expanded to "what medieval foods we STILL eat".

An interesting sideline of that are food traditions that survive, such as in
the south using biscuits or bread to sop up broths, sauces, and gravies.
This past weekend, a gentle at table with me apologized for her bad manners
in sopping up the meat juices with bread, but of course it was very
appropriate that she do so, medievally spaking.  And if the large hunks of
cooked beef had had "trenchers" under them on the serving trays (aluminum
cookie sheets) we wouldn't have made such a mess spilling the juices over
the edges when passing the tray.

The difficulty in planning this class would be drawing that line between
medieval food and what some here refer to as "nouveau cuisine", a lot of
which does survive.

Bonne